reFurnit: Herbidashery

  • I reported to a barn for work over the summer, while working as a landscaper & parks laborer. That barn was cleaned out, its refuse taken to the dumpster. On top of that pile, I found this baker's cabinet. I pulled it out & managed to fit it in my Jeep Wrangler. Over the course of the summer, this cabinet was transformed into a small greenhouse & drying place for my herb plants, and dubbed 'Herbidashery.'
  • Original. Third door missing.
  • Interior, door accessory units on right side.
  • Overall Stripdown
  • Backing, poor condition. Completely stripped off & replaced.
  • First take at chemical stripdown
  • Results of first stripdown
  • After sanding
  • Cabinet taken to the minimum. The whole piece was flipped for its repurpose
  • After an all-over sanding
  • Door Accessories
  • Original condition
  • Original condition
  • Sanding/grinding, followed by spray painting
  • Painting: flat black & brushed copper for an antiqued finish
  • Cherry stain added
  • Door Detailing
  • After first stripdown
  • After sanding
  • Stencil created
  • Spray painted in a similar way as door accessories: flat black & brushed copper
  • Cherry woodstain 
  • All hardware was also painted with the flat black & brushed copper. Detail of original hardware
  • Glass Addition
  • Windows found out for curbside trash. Glass extracted & used in herbidashery
  • Broken glass pieces cut down to make tiles, protecting wood from water leaks from plants
  • Back, new backing panel, fritted glass
  • Top door created, chained
  • Hardware detail